[Sussex] File sharing legal in Canada!

Mark Harrison Mark at ascentium.co.uk
Thu Apr 1 17:31:46 UTC 2004

I hesitate to post this until tomorrow, but....

Given the date, I'm NOT going to post the source URL for this - however, I have checked it out, and similar stories appear on several Canadian news sites... so either it's a cross-industry gag, or it's for real!

------

The Federal Court of Canada has ruled that sharing music on the Internet doesn't violate Canadian copyright law.

That means the music industry can't sue individuals who make music available online.

The court ruled downloading a song or making files available in shared directories, does not constitute copyright infringement under Canadian law.

The Canadian Recording Industry Association had sought a court order to force Internet service providers to identify alleged high-volume music traders.

Wednesday's ruling has reaffirmed a recent decision by the Copyright Board of Canada that downloading music in this country is legal.