[Sussex] File sharing legal in Canada!

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Fri Apr 2 13:36:13 UTC 2004

Mark

On Fri, Apr 02, 2004 at 02:13:22PM +0100, Mark Harrison wrote:
> [...]

Okay, so I meant _sales_ TAX.

> You may, rightly, claim that the Government called in "Community Charge",
> and only protestors and the media called it a "tax".

The "Poll Tax" was:

  a). An abusive use of a governments power,

  b). An example of the power of the voter, or

  c). Non of the above, but a skillful cover-up for what the Tories
      didn't want you to notice at the time. [1]

> However, the term "tax" to which you are referring was a description applied
> by a protest site, not the government.

I was meaning the term "TAX" as a general term for any method a government
places to extract money from my (or your) wallet.

> Still agree that it's a spoof, though :-)

As I was agreeing with you, your only agreeing with yourself :-)

Steve

[1]
If the tories really had wanted to bring in a Poll Tax all they had to do
was first let the Councils run the rate re-assessments.  Remember that
property prices had vastly increased over the previous ten years and
middle-England, Tory voter would have had a nice big new Rate Tax to
pay.  Against that the Poll Tax would have been a blessing.