[Sussex] File sharing legal in Canada!

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Fri Apr 2 18:40:41 UTC 2004

Hi Steve

On Fri, Apr 02, 2004 at 05:27:12PM +0000, Steve Williams wrote:
> Sadly given this Chancellor's penchant for extracting tax I wouldn't put it
> past him. For the same reason I wouldn't joke about a breathing tax or a
> farting tax within his hearing because I have a horrible suspicion it would
> become reality.

You've been watching too much "Yes, [Prime] Minister" - not that was true
given who was providing the writers with info :-)

> However, I can't see on what grounds it could be levied - on sales? Well I've
> recently downloaded Gentoo and it cost nowt - no tax to be paid there. On
> income made by developers - when they release it for free?

Hang on, there is not TAX on second hand sales.  If SCO win then Linux is
second hand - not TAX there - Go SCO, Go.  That was a joke in poor taste.

> All this will do is discourage Open Source development in this country, and
> that would be a bad thing in my view.

I can't see who that could be done.  What next, a TAX on train spotting?

> It just shows that the government's thinking has been left behind by the new
> international community called the Internet.

The pace of life now is so fast that slow government processes to respond.
Best that they just use current laws to do want must be done without trying
to control the changing life that we enjoy.

> Anyone voting Tory next time then?

I may be radical but not that way-out!

Steve D