[Sussex] Default window manager strangeness after upgrade

Gavin Stevens starshine at gavmusic.uklinux.net
Mon Apr 12 22:50:44 UTC 2004

Hi all,

I'm very pleased with Debian Woody, the upgrade went well & I was quite
chuffed with myself that I managed to solve any problems on my own. Apart
 from setting the default window manager, that is.

Window Maker came up as default after the upgrade & I thought I could
easily get the default back to Icewm, but creating a .xinitrc file &
.xsession (& adding "exec icewm" or "exec /usr/bin/icewm") did nothing to
stop the irrepressible Window Maker. Xdm disappeared after the upgrade & I
was using startx (actually quite like that idea), but I re-installed xdm
(thinking that might help with the default window manager).

I also got rid of quite a lot of Gnome bits after I tried Gnome Panel &
couldn't get rid of it. This is quite apart from the fact that it had a
fish where a clock would have been handy.

I have noticed a file called "x-window-manager" but it seems to have some
code in it, so I've left it well alone.

In the meantime, I've uninstalled Window Maker so that Icewm is the only
window manager on my system, so that sort of solves the problem, but it
would still be nice to know how to do it properly.

Any thoughts appreciated,

Gavin.