[Sussex] sound probs

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Wed Apr 21 22:05:11 UTC 2004

Hi Dom

On Wed, Apr 21, 2004 at 06:25:31PM +0100, Dominic Clay wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have another PC at home atm and in the name of variety, I have put Debian
> running 2.4.25 on it.  All is fine but in Gnome there is no sound.  I just get
> the message "couldn't open mixer device '/dev/sound/mixer'"
>
> Sure enough there is no such file, although there is a /dev/mixer !
>
> If I run sndconfig it tells me I have a Creative Labs SB!Live EMU10k1 which I
> think is correct and then tells me it is not currently supported.  When I had
> this same card in a Gentoo machine it just worked out of the box. (A triumph for
> Gentoo or just luck?)

The 2.6 Docs have info on the EMU10K1/EMU10K2 base PCI soundcards so it looks
like it is supported (at least in 2.6).  The docs say that "snd-emu10k1" is
the modules you want - is it loaded?  If not have you tried loading it?

> If I run:
> ~# grep MIXER /boot/config-`uname -r`
>
> I have attached my dmesg listing for anyone who can make snse of it?
> This sound stuff is a bit of a dark arcane mystery...  I'm a little unnerved by
> it all :S
>
> Anyone any thoughts I can try?
>
> Cheers,
> Dominic
>
> I get:
> CONFIG_SOUND_ACI_MIXER=m
> CONFIG_SOUND_TVMIXER=m

IIRC you don't get the mixer unless the sound card driver is loaded.  Of course
I build my own kernels and have my own sound systems builtin (not modules).

Steve D