[Sussex] First kernel compile on the cards...

Thomas Adam thomas_adam16 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 24 00:21:46 UTC 2004

 --- Gavin Stevens <starshine at gavmusic.uklinux.net> wrote:

> to download & compile a kernel & add the modules that way (I didn't add
> SCSI support when I first installed Potato 'cos I was a newbie who
> didn't
> realise that SCSI was needed to make an IDE CD-R work).

This would be a Steve Dobson inspired ideal -- tut. I disagree with Potato
-> woody -> (Sarge|sid). Just install woody and then dist-upgrade.

> I know that I could go for a 2.6 kernel & not have to bother with SCSI
> emulation, but I'm wondering if this is a bit of a leap for various
> reasons: I note that the new kernels are quite different in some ways
> (initrd etc.). I tried a 2.4 kernel when I upgraded but couldn't get
> that
> to work, so it might be too much in the first instance.

initrds are only ever used by stock kernels. When you compile your own you
will not need one.

> I'm currently running kernel 2.2.20. Does it sound sensible for me to
> get
> the latest 2.2 kernel (2.2.26) & compile that? My thinking is that this

No, get 2.4.25, and look at the following two websites (pay particular
attention to the last one):

http://www.hantslug.org.uk/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?LinuxHints/KernelBuilding
http://www.hantslug.org.uk/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?LinuxHints/KernelCompiling

HTH,