[sub] [Sussex] A new look to our web site

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Sun Aug 1 10:33:08 UTC 2004

Karl

On Sun, Aug 01, 2004 at 10:10:22AM +0100, Karl E. Jorgensen wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 30, 2004 at 11:56:01PM +0100, Steve Dobson wrote:
> > What I was surprised to find is that IE appears to be using a later render
> > spec on old code.  To me that is like setting the K&R flag of a C compiler
> > and then have it complain that the code is not to ASCII standard.
>
> American Standard Code for Information Interchange !?
>
> You didn't mean ANSI by any chance? :-)

Opps

> > IE (and all other browsers) ought to support old HTML standards as they
> > always have.
>
> amen. or at least support the old standards better than before...

No - just as they always have for backward compatibility.

There have beens bugs in released software that, when they become common
place, are needed.  I have heard of bug in an early version of DOS that
was used by so many programs that it had to be maintained in later release.

Also Apple's implementation in the early laser printer had a bug that
IIRC is now part of the postscript standard - or a well documented
exception to the spec.

If the way a browser renders a page changes then what happens to all those
old pages that expect it to render a certain way.