[Sussex] File Permissions and Uploading

Thomas Adam thomas at edulinux.homeunix.org
Sun Aug 8 19:33:17 UTC 2004

On Sun, Aug 08, 2004 at 08:27:59PM +0100, Matthew Macdonald-Wallace wrote:
> I'm guessing 777 is way out, but would 755 suffice, or would people

777 is only really one up from the devil (666). Unless you have
suffered severe brain damage, NOTHING should ever be set with those
perms.

> suggest 744 or a more obscure combination?

It depends, doesn't it. You might want to make it 700, and just
allow the user to be able to rwx there. Of you might make it 755,
which would allow the user to rwx, but the others exec rights only.
Or you might want 760, to allow the user rwx, group rw, and nothing
for others. It just depends. My honest truth is to go with '755'.

-- Thomas Adam
--
"Frankly, Mr. Shankly, since you ask. You are a flatulent pain in
the arse." -- Morrissey.