[Sussex] File Permissions and Uploading

Matthew Macdonald-Wallace matthew at truthisfreedom.org.uk
Sun Aug 8 19:44:17 UTC 2004

On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 20:33:14 +0100
"Thomas Adam" <thomas at edulinux.homeunix.org> enlightened us with:

> It depends, doesn't it. You might want to make it 700, and just
> allow the user to be able to rwx there. Of you might make it 755,
> which would allow the user to rwx, but the others exec rights only.
> Or you might want 760, to allow the user rwx, group rw, and nothing
> for others. It just depends. My honest truth is to go with '755'.

OK, a little more about the project.

I'm overhauling http://www.eighthnerve.co.uk/, a site I designed
originally and apart from php templating to make the site layout
easier, it is all static.

I'm now switching to a dynamic site so the band can upload their own
info on Gigs, News etc using a custom CMS that I'm writing.  One of the
new features is to have a photo gallery that the band can upload photos
of gigs and while I realise that there are many "out of the box"
solutions out there, I want to write it myself so I understand it! (if
it's not mine, I probably won't bother reading the manual... )

Does this affect the permissions you would give it?  It means that the
directory has to be world readable, but not writable, it does however
need to be writable for the user, hence the query if 755 is
acceptable.

All answers welcomed with open arms... :D

Matt
--

| Matthew Macdonald-Wallace     |