[Sussex] New Lappy

Alan F alan at slug.greenmeads.co.uk
Tue Aug 10 23:07:14 UTC 2004

On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 06:41:22PM +0100, Gareth Ablett wrote:
> hi all,
>
> I just obtained a classic piece of hardware its an aci laptop it has no
> network currently and only floppy.
>
> The hd is about 300 I believe and i'm looking to change it from win95 to
> linux any sugestions for a distro that would install by floppy and
> possible contain a minimal desktop enviroment.  flux or the like.

I'm using Slackware 10 (Linux 2.4.26) on a laptop with the following
specs, if I remember right:

50mhz i486 processor
16mb RAM
450mb HD
floppy drive, no cdrom
orinoco 802.11b card

Here's a picture post-restoration: http://www.loonix.net/laptor.jpg :D

Alas, no desktop environment; but it's fine for a small ssh console,
kismet and some light work. I did a network install over NFS, it's
pretty comfortable in terms of disk usage since it's a rather minimal
install. Starts quite quickly, too. The battery was dead but I was
lucky enough to find one on ebay for 50p :)

Hope this helps,
Alan