[Sussex] GUI toolkits

Thomas Adam thomas at edulinux.homeunix.org
Wed Aug 11 16:56:19 UTC 2004

On Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 05:50:11PM +0100, Geoff Teale wrote:

> Qt3 is actually a really professionally put together toolkit and one of

To me, it still looks like it was designed for two year olds. Sorry,
but it does. ;)

> > There have been numerous problems with GTK2 apps.
>
> Err, not for a long time now AFAIK.  In my experience it's _more_ stable and
> _more_ secure in recent versions that the 1.x series ever was.

YMMV.

> > There is nothing wrong with GTK1 at all.
>
> There's plenty wrong with Gtk1 - it's conceptually broken in a number
> of places, it's API is inconsistent and dirty.  It's looks and feels
> ameturish from a programming point of view.

Ah, but does it really matter at the programming level how it
*feels*?

> > I actually really like Tk. It has more bindings to languages than
> > GTK does.
>
> Tk is fine, but from a purely asthetic point of view it's lacking a lot
> on Linux.  I was simply suggesting that if Alan was planning on writing
> apps that would have a wider audience than this one that Tk probably
> wouldn't be the most appealing skill to learn.

There's still a lot you can do with it. It is, in my opinion, over
looked somewhat, which is a shame.

[..snip..]

-- Thomas Adam
--
"Frankly, Mr. Shankly, since you ask. You are a flatulent pain in
the arse." -- Morrissey.