[Sussex] Can't emerge sync..

Dominic Humphries linux at oneandoneis2.com
Sun Aug 15 18:10:09 UTC 2004

As I mentioned earlier, I'm trying out Gentoo. Or at least, I'd LIKE to
- So far, I've not managed to get it installed.

I've downloaded and installed the stage2 tarball on a spare 5gb
partition, and sucessfully chrooted into it.

Then I tried to use 'emerge sync' to install the portage tree, like
Chap. 6 says. That gives the error:

Notice: (-3, 'Temporary failure in name resolution')
>>> starting rsync with rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage...
>>> checking server timestamp ...
rsync: getaddrinfo: rsync.gentoo.org 873: Temporary failure in name
resolution
rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at clientserver.c(88)

I try using "emerge-webrsync", which appears to work - in that it says
"Fetching most recent snapshot" instead of giving an error message.
Except it doesn't actually do anything else - no eth0 activity, and
nothing gets downloaded.

Lastly, when I try to ping "rsync.gentoo.org" from my host distro, I get
no response. I've turned off my firewall, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Any idea what the problem is, and how I get around it..?

TIA

Dominic