[Sussex] Fair's idea's

Alan Pope alan.pope at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 22:58:00 UTC 2004

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 22:49:47 +0000, Steve Dobson <steve at dobson.org> wrote:
> Andrew
>
> On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 09:45:52PM +0000, Andrew Guard wrote:
> > How we can make it better, well here pennies worth.  Please dont take this
> > the wrong way.
>
> Any and all ideas are welcome, that doesn't mean that they will be taken
> up, but all will be given the consideration they merit.

You might want to learn from others. We (HantsLUG) had one of these
this last Sunday. You can see what happened on our wiki.

http://www.hants.lug.org.uk/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?InfoPoints

especially

http://www.hants.lug.org.uk/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?InfoPoints/5thDecember2004

and some photos..

http://www.hants.lug.org.uk/gallery/infopoint_12_2004

> > Also look at the idea of making an CD which is filled with Open Source for
> > Windows.  To show people that open source isn't a bad thing also put an copy
> > of Sussex Linux web site, which would auto boot when CD installed. ;)
> >
> > App's which might go on there
> >
> > OpenOffice.org
> > Firefox
> > Thunderbird
> > GIMP

This has already been done. It's called the OpenCD, and we burned some
for our infopoint.

http://theopencd.sunsite.dk/

> The idea of an Open Source CD for Windows is a great idea.  It is another
> CD that we can easterly put together and would help increase our take at
> the show.  Next time we are putting the price of the CD up to £3 to help
> recoup the costs, having a second CD of free software ready for Windows.
> We could do them for £3 each or £5 the pair.  Can someone pick this
> up and develop the ISO image.  I have no way of doing this as I don't have
> a Windoz box here.  Any more suggestions for the CD.  I suggest:

We charged a quid each for ours. 1 pound just covered the cost (which was 84p).

We sold OpenCD and Knoppix.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Al.