[Sussex] Fair's idea's

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Thu Dec 9 10:24:15 UTC 2004

John

On Thu, Dec 09, 2004 at 08:15:41AM +0000, John D. wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-12-08 at 22:49 +0000, Steve Dobson wrote:
>
> >   The GNU Tool set.
> >   EMacs
>
> Erm, I know I'm just checking my mail before some sleep, but even after
> 2 years + of linux,
>
> a) I haven't got a scooby how to use Emacs (I get by with nano and
> kwrite - plus I can just about change a few lines/do a save in VI).
>
> and
>
> b) What does the GNU Tool set do/used for???
>
> My point being, that you'd probably grab more attention with app's of a
> type that are more likely to be familiar to a "windows punter"!

John, I don't disagree, but on the other hand if there is space on the
CD then lets fill it.  There are loads of (ex-)Unix people that are now
given Windox box as which don't come with the box, but which are missed
if you've used them.

With a good spread of apps we can, hopefully, get more people to put
their hands in their pockets.

BTW: You asked on another post.  The GNU Tool Set is things like
"ls", "mkdir", "diff", "sort" and most importantly, "bash".  With
the tool set on a Windows box becomes much, much more useable to a
Unix person.