[Sussex] Fair's idea's

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Thu Dec 9 10:36:58 UTC 2004

Jim

Hi and welcome to the club.

On Thu, Dec 09, 2004 at 09:58:04AM -0000, Jim Noble wrote:
<snipage>
> So where does Linux come into this scenario?
>
> Well some of us have flirted with it in the past with varying degrees of
> success/comfort and one club member is now almost completely Linux based.
> He'll be describing his experience at Walberton next Spring. The main
> issues seem to be the difficulty of getting devices up and running properly
> without needing a degree in arcane mysteries and the sacrifice of a virgin
> white goat.
>
> The membership of both clubs is, how shall I put this, mature and in many
> cases on a limited budget. The idea of free software is attractive, but
> there's plenty of that around for Windows anyway. The idea of better
> security and relative freedom from malware is also enticing. In the main, I
> think the memberships would welcome  exposure to some Linux evangelising.
> If anyone would like to give a tutorial/demonstration at either club, I'm
> sure we can set a date in Spring 2005 for Pulborough and maybe one in
> Autumn 2005 for Walberton. We have the use of a 1024x768 projector and 6'
> screen.
>
> We aren't rich and the fee offered tends to be a bottle of wine and a round
> of applause.

I'm sure that we can provide a tutorial/demonstration if you want.

In fact we have been thinking of holding some roving meetings, but nothing
has happened on that front.  If you have a venue that we could use for
free then I'm sure we could get some people together to come over and
evangelise.  Please indicate some idea as to date, times etc.