[Sussex] From 500K to 1M in under 6 months for nothing extra

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Sun Dec 19 07:58:08 UTC 2004

Andrew

On Sun, Dec 19, 2004 at 07:44:18AM -0000, Andrew Guard wrote:
> Well I know that subject title sounds an bit like some spam but it isn't.
> I sign up to Telewest Blueyonder about 6 months ago and at time got the
> 500k package for £25 an month.  An short time after connection to
> blueyonder it was improved to 750k for wait for it £25 an month. Now to
> day I have 1M and you guessed it all for £25 and no bandwith restrictions.
>
> I know it is work as look at my CM config 192.168.100.1 downstream channel
> is set to Bit Rate 1024000 bps.
>
> http://www.blueyonder.co.uk/blueyonder/getContent.jspx?page=bbs_evenfaster

Are you really getting that bandwidth.  At home here I am on a 500Kbit 50:1
(home500) package with Zen and I regularly see (night or day) >50Kbytes/sec.

Recently I was on a client's site and installing some [Debian] packages
and I was only seeing about 38Kbytes/sec on the download.  I was informed
that this was 1Mbit 20:1 package.

Just because they have set the up-stream max settings doesn't mean that
that is what you see.