[Sussex] Gentoo - Boot dialogue errors.

John D. big-john at dsl.pipex.com
Sun Dec 19 22:47:10 UTC 2004

Hi list,

well further to my previous questions about boot dialogue errors and
things that don't look right, I've had to write them down long hand, and
dispite googling for something, I have no idea what the google hits
meant.

The errors are as follows, and I appreciate if someone could tell me
what I actually need to be looking at:-

error calling: "unlink" in "GLOBAL"
-----------------------------------
* Setting user font...
action_compat: error unlinking "vcs3" No such file or directory

<additional to error> it said the same line except for vcsa3, vcs5 and
vcsa5
-------------------------------------
chown: 'root:scanner': invalid group
chmod: cannot access '/proc/bus/usb/001/002' : No such file or directory
-------------------------------------
* You need to setup MOUSEDEV and MOUSE in /etc/conf.d/gpm first
-------------------------------------
* Starting slurpd...
No replicas in slapd.conf file "/etc/openldap/slapd.conf"!
Error: : directory specified in "replogfile" slapd.conf directory does n
-------------------------------------
*Starting spamd...
start-stop-daemon: Unable to start /usr/bin/spamd: No such file or
directory
*Failed to start spamd

And that's the end of the errors (well there was also one about not
having mysql installed and that I should run /usr/bin/mysql_install_db
so I just typed that into a root shell and got some stuff about mysql
that I don't understand, so I'll leave that for the moment).

As I say, google just did the whooshing noise as the answers to some
went over my head, so I'd appreciate it if someone could point me in the
right direction

regards

John D.

p.s. I also have some shutting down errors, but suspect that they may be
connected to the ones listed above ???