[Sussex] Gentoo - Boot dialogue errors.

John D. big-john at dsl.pipex.com
Mon Dec 20 00:03:38 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-12-19 at 23:36 +0000, Geoffrey Teale wrote:

> I haven't been following this thread, so I might be off base, but just
> looking at your messages it seems like you're trying to start a load of
> things at boot time that you don't have installed, for example:
>
> slurpd - This is the replication service for OpenLDAP databases
> slapd - This is the OpenLDAP database server itself
>
> Did you install either of those?

No, but I don't know how to stop the messages appearing either!

> I can't imagine what would have set
> them up to run at boot time without some human intervention, have you
> been running rc-update or hacking around in /etc/rc.conf, or have you
> copied someone else's configuration files from the web?

Not that I'm aware of, I've only run the "rc-update" when told to by the
install instructions - Plus to my idiot level understanding of "jargon",
I don't quite follow what you mean by "hacking around in /etc/rc.conf"?

That currently looks like this:-

/etc/rc.conf: Global startup script configuration settings
# $Header: /home/cvsroot/gentoo-src/rc-scripts/etc/rc.conf,v 1.22
2003/10/21 06:09:42 vapier Exp $

# Use KEYMAP to specify the default console keymap.  There is a complete
tree
# of keymaps in /usr/share/keymaps to choose from.  This setting is used
by the
# /etc/init.d/keymaps script.

KEYMAP="uk.map.gz"

# Should we first load the 'windowkeys' console keymap?  Most x86 users
will
# say "yes" here.  Note that non-x86 users should leave it as "no".

SET_WINDOWKEYS="yes"

# The maps to load for extended keyboards.  Most users will leave this
as is.

EXTENDED_KEYMAPS=
#EXTENDED_KEYMAPS="backspace keypad"

# CONSOLEFONT specifies the default font that you'd like Linux to use on
the
# console.  You can find a good selection of fonts
in /usr/share/consolefonts;
# you shouldn't specify the trailing ".psf.gz", just the font name
below.
# To use the default console font, comment out the CONSOLEFONT setting
below.
# This setting is used by the /etc/init.d/consolefont script (NOTE: if
you do
# not want to use it, run "rc-update del consolefont" as root).

CONSOLEFONT="default8x16"

# CONSOLETRANSALTION is the charset map file to use.  Leave commented to
use
# the default one.  Have a look in /usr/share/consoletrans for a
selection of
# map files you can use.

#CONSOLETRANSLATION="8859-1_to_uni"

# Set CLOCK to "UTC" if your system clock is set to UTC (also known as
# Greenwich Mean Time).  If your clock is set to the local time, then
set CLOCK
# to "local".  This setting is used by the /etc/init.d/clock script.

CLOCK="UTC"

# Set EDITOR to your preferred editor.

EDITOR="/bin/nano"
#EDITOR="/usr/bin/vim"
#EDITOR="/usr/bin/emacs"

# Set PROTOCOLS to the protocols that you plan to use.  Gentoo Linux
will only
# enable module auto-loading for these protocols, eliminating annoying
module
# not found errors.
#
# NOTE: Do NOT uncomment the next lines, but add them to 'PROTOCOLS=...'
line!!
#
# Num   Protocol
# 1:    Unix
# 2:    IPv4
# 3:    Amateur Radio AX.25
# 4:    IPX
# 5:    DDP / appletalk
# 6:    Amateur Radio NET/ROM
# 9:    X.25
# 10:   IPv6
# 11:   ROSE / Amateur Radio X.25 PLP
# 19:   Acorn Econet

# Most users want this:
PROTOCOLS="1 2"

#For IPv6 support:
#PROTOCOLS="1 2 10"

# What display manager do you use ?  [ xdm | gdm | kdm | entrance ]
DISPLAYMANAGER="kdm"

# XSESSION is a new variable to control what window manager to start
# default with X if run with xdm, startx or xinit.  The default behavior
# is to look in /etc/X11/Sessions/ and run the script in matching the
# value that XSESSION is set to.  The support scripts is smart enouth to
# look in all bin directories if it cant find a match
in /etc/X11/Sessions/,
# so setting it to "enligtenment" can also work.  This is basically used
# as a way for the system admin to configure a default system wide WM,
# allthough it will work if the user export XSESSION in
his .bash_profile, etc.
#
# NOTE:  1) this behaviour is overridden when a ~/.xinitrc exists, and
startx
#           is called.
#        2) even if a ~/.xsession exist, if XSESSION can be resolved, it
will
#           be executed rather than ~/.xsession, else KDM breaks ...
#
# Defaults depending on what you install currently include:
#
# Gnome - will start gnome-session
# kde-<version> - will start startkde (ex: kde-3.0.2)
# Xsession - will start a terminal and a few other nice apps

XSESSION="kde-3.3.1"

> As for the shutting down errors, it will try to shut down everything it
> tries to start up, so you should see a matching set on the way down.
> The good news is that this stuff shouldn't really be a problem, just a
> slight annoyance.

Indeed, the point of my questions is that I'm actually trying to learn
something properly for once (and failing dismally - or so it seems).

Hence any pointers/suggestions as to what I need to look at/into to try
and "cure" this is very much appreciated!

regards

John D.