[Sussex] From 500K to 1M in under 6 months for nothing extra

Gareth Ablett Gareth.Ablett at itpserve.co.uk
Mon Dec 20 10:00:51 UTC 2004

 From: Geoffrey Teale [mailto:gteale at cmedltd.com]
 Subject: RE: [Sussex] From 500K to 1M in under 6 months for nothing
extra

> On Mon, 2004-12-20 at 09:34 +0000, Gareth Ablett wrote:
> > I have a 1024/256 50:1 and often see downloads of 119Kbytes/Sec
> >
> > Technically it should get 128Kbytes/sec which it has spiked to
before if the server is local and on
> a good network, but you will always get additional network
communication slowing downloads.

> I've often seen my line getting the full rate (I'm on 1Mbit
Symmetric),
> more often than not though it has more to do with the server your
> pulling from than anything else.  java.sun.com always seems to give me
> the full rate, as does www-106.ibm.com - however sourceforge and
> savannah.gnu.org never come close.
>
> What I do find is that when Sarah and I are both on line we can almost
> always get the full bandwidth.
>
> Maybe I'm just lucky...

I guess its partly luck but I imagine it has a lot to do with the ISP
aswell some are just crap.

For the record if Jon F is reading I'm still using eclipse and its still
working rather well and considering an upgrade to there 2048/256 ADSL,
although I'm a tad worried their going get worse after what you said
before but no sign yet.

Gareth Ablett
Systems Developer

ITP Services Ltd.
http://www.itpserve.co.uk/

The recipient acknowledges that ITP Services Ltd is unable to control
the content of information in transmitting mail and attachments over the
Internet. ITP Services Ltd makes no warranty as to the quality,
accuracy and content of information contained in or with this message.
In
reading, opening or receiving this e-mail the recipient accepts full
responsibility for its content and attachments.