[Sussex] Mythtv

Alan F alan at slug.greenmeads.co.uk
Mon Dec 20 16:04:47 UTC 2004

On Mon, Dec 20, 2004 at 09:26:18AM +0000, David Chapman wrote:
> I am in the proccess of gathering some hardware for a Mythtv box and would
> welcome recommendations.
> I wont need a TV tuner as I will be taking the signal from my NTL set top box.
> I already have some left overs from other projects.
>
> 1x DXR3 DVD decoder
> 1x Sigma Hollywood DVD decoder
> Aopen DVD-ram drive
> Creative Live 1024 sound card
>
> So I need recommendations for an encoder minimum cpu reqirements and a box to
> put it all in.

Funnily enough, I aquired a TV capture card earlier this week. It's a
WinTV Primio, it says BT878 on the box, but it uses some very new
connexant chip which has a fairly experimental driver. :\

The cx8800 driver which I used with it only displays anything in black
and white, not colour, so I've ended up using windows as my primary
desktop, which I haven't done for quite a long time... Not *too* bad
since I can SSH to my Linux box in the loft, and use firefox still. :)

I'll post something to the v4l mailing list sometime, but you should
probably steer clear of the card if you want good linux support. I got
it from work with my staff discount for $40 (no, this is not my full
time job, Saturday job for a poor student :P), and the picture is
very clear so I'm fairly happy with it. I've only heard good things
about the WinTV PVR-250, especially in terms of Linux support, so I'd
get that if I had more money.

Alan