[Sussex] Multiple IPs on an ADSL line

Simon Huggins huggie at earth.li
Tue Dec 21 12:34:16 UTC 2004

Hi,

On Tue, Dec 21, 2004 at 12:25:11PM +0000, Jon Fautley wrote:
> Zen don't hassle you for IP requirements for anything less than a /29
> (8 addresses). I really don't see why Eclipse ask for that
> information, but you can basically put down anything you like there,
> they don't seem to read them lol.

To satisfy RIPE's requirements on them that they be able to justify the
usage if they are audited.

> If you're reckoning on only 1 IP address, I'd ask for a /30 - this
> gives you 4 IP addresses, of which 2 are usable (without any fancy
> routing/breaking of stuff) - that gives you a bit of room for
> expansion in the future.

Sounds wasteful to me if you're not actually going to use them.  I don't
see why a decent ISP wouldn't let you have a block at a later date if
you had a reason for one.

I just have one IP and many devices and NAT and it doesn't really stop
me doing anything I want to including getting my VoIP phone working,
running a web server, sshing back to various machines behind the NAT box
etc...

Simon.

--
        Black Cat Networks        -(      "Do they teach lawyers to      )-
UK domain, email and web hosting  -(   apologise, because you suck at    )-