[Sussex] Kernel re-compile?

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Wed Feb 18 03:43:01 UTC 2004

Hi Gavin

On Wed, Feb 18, 2004 at 12:07:27AM -0000, Gavin Stevens wrote:
<snip>
> I now need to get module sr_mod, so that I can use my CD-R (upgraded at the
> weekend to a DVDROM/CD-R/RW combo I got from work for £30 inc. VAT) for its
> intended purpose.

Before re-compiling have a look for module sr_mod.
   $ locate sr_mod
I'm a kernel builder.  But I have an old MIPS machine running that I haven't
gotten around to building a kernel for - I might never as it is the only box
that will always run Debian stable.  I only use Debian (as most on this list
already know).  Apart from the MIPS machine, the rest of my kit, all runs
`sarge.'

If locate can find sr_mod for your version of the kernel then just add it to
/etc/modules and it will be loaded at boot time.

> Re-compiling the kernel has been the only suggested means of adding this
> module. Now, I'm willing to take the plunge & give it a go, but (faint
> sound of chicken noises) if there's an easier way, then I'm all ears.
>
> If re-compiling is the only way, then any helpful hints are most welcome.

I'm crap at remembering names, and I can't remember if you've come to a
meeting.   Have we met?

I've suggested in the past a meeting were we talk about re-compiling kernels,
but nothing has ever come about it, although I have talked to one or two people
about the tricks I have learnt.  I does help to have someone show you the ropes
first.

There are several people that meet at Horsham that know what there are doing
there, so if you can make a meeting just ask.

Compiling a kernel is not difficult, once you're shown a few of the tricks,
but then I run "make" so often anyway that any errors that get thrown aren't
a problem, for me, if I have the time.  If you can make it to a meeting then
let me know then I'll being a laptop that I can show you some of what I know,
and I know that Geoff will only be to happy to help out too.  But give me a few
days warning (and the version of the kernel) so I can get ready.

> I have never compiled anything (apart from a small Java programme that
> displayed a short sentence), so please be gentle ;-)

I don't think you'll need to compile, but an
  # apt-get install findutils
  # updatedb
might be needed.  It should be already on your system as it's priority is
"required," but that is not base - which is the only stuff that "must" be
installed.  I don't remember if `updatedb' is run as part of the install,
so typing it (as root) will just run the update there and then.  Depending
upon the size of the disk(s) on the system it will take a while.

'updatedb' just scans your disk(s) and caches the file names.  This makes
it very quick to find a file with a given name.  At 7:35 every morning my
systems get a bit busy as the `updatedb' program is automatically run to
update the cache.  But you can run it by hand at any time.  One run you
know that what is returned by "locate <string>" is up to date.

Hope this helps Gavin.