[Sussex] lin---s.com

Jon Fautley jon at geekpeople.net
Wed Feb 18 13:01:10 UTC 2004

Geoff Teale wrote:

>On Wed, 2004-02-18 at 05:39 -0500, Jon Fautley wrote:
>

>>It just shows the idiocy of some countries legal systems...
>>
>>Just my 2p...
>>

>Well Mr. Fautley, how exactly is this idiotic?
>
>If I were to set up an I.T. company in the Horsham area with the name
>4ait or better still free-a-i-t do you not feel that it might cause
>confusion, and if I were particularly shoddy do you not feel it would
>reflect badly on 3ait if people confused the names?

If the company went out to intentionally 'steal' business from me, and
tried to use my name to sell it's product, i.e. getting an Audi,
removing the badge, and sticking a BMW badge on it, then selling it as a
BMW, then yes, i'd be upset.

However, that doesn't seem to be what Lindows is doing. It's called
Lindows beacuse it's a crossover of Windows and Linux... Lindows and
Windows are two different products, with two different marketplaces,
with two different names. Why do Microsoft not go and sue OpenOffice...
I mean, it's an office suite, it's got office in the name.. my god!
people will get so confused!

Jon

Incidentally, 3a IT isn't my company - I use 'my' in this email because
Geoff was aiming the comments at me, as if 3a was my company.