[Sussex] RE: Sussex Digest, Vol 22, Issue 11

Geoff Teale gteale at cmedltd.com
Fri Feb 20 16:26:07 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-02-20 at 15:56 +0000, Gareth Ablett wrote:
> This is probably one of the main problems up until now its been
> nice but all we are doing is socializing, we need to have the
> meetings as more of a learning experience to some. And we need to
> supply that as a service to you all.

I agree entirely (three cheers for us ;-) ).

> I do think we need to keep the social bit but we need it separate
> so some people can go early and some can stay but we need at least
> 2 hours put aside for presentations/help evenings/ Q&A etc. In fact
> I think it should be a bit more formal in some sense.

Agreed.  I've always felt that the meeting should be more "Homebrew
Computer Club" than "Diners Club".

I was talking to the LUG master of the Ottawa LUG the other day and he
said that he and some other "senior" members of the LUG arrange
voluntary homework for noobs to go and try and then they help them out
with it at the next meet.  Would that sort of thing be of interest to
the group?  There are plenty of experienced UNIX/Linux hackers here who
could be helping out noobs in such a manner.

--
Geoff Teale
Cmed Technology <gteale at cmedltd.com>