[Sussex] Penguins...

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Sat Feb 21 18:32:13 UTC 2004

All

On Sat, Feb 21, 2004 at 06:23:32PM +0000, Steve Dobson wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 21, 2004 at 06:03:08PM -0000, Gareth Ablett wrote:
> > Steve
> > >
> > > Well happy birthday to you too.
> > >
> > > However no one has wished me a Happy Unbirthday :-(  As to day
> > > is my Unbirthday -- no one cares <sob> <sob>
> > >

> > If you wish I could setup a somthing so you recieved a happy unbirthday
> > email everday of the year except for your actual birthday but i would need
> > to know that first.
>
> It has been suggested that this LUG sets "homework" for those out there
> that wish to improve there *nix knowledge.
>
> In that sprit I now set the first such homework.  Which is to be handed in
> on 26th Feb (LUGMoot day).
>
> Object:
>   Develop a way to send a "Happy Unbirthday" e-mail messages to me.
>
>   My birthday is on 15th July
>
>   The subject line of the e-mail must be "Happy Unbirthday" and the
>   body should contain today's date.

I forgot to also state.

The system should be complete and require no futher intervention to
send the mail everyday.  You may use any standard GNU tool set to do
it or perl, python, etc.

Extra credit will be given for doing it in a few commands, statements,
lines (whatever) as possible.

Comments and blank lines (which make the script more readable) will not
be counted as a line in scripts.

My solution required 5 commands total - if you want a target.