[Sussex] Re: Gentoo problems.

Thomas Adam thomas_adam16 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 22 15:46:59 UTC 2004

 --- "John D." <big-john at dsl.pipex.com> wrote:

> I still can't find anywhere that the boot dialogue is kept one the
> system is
> up and running, and it's made me think, that I don't know what the
> "syslog
> daemon" is. It would be whatever gets installed (presumably) when

Syslog is what logs kernel messages, and system messages. Typically
messages can be sent to /dev/console which are then logged to
/var/log/messages. The kernel will also send them via the tkprint()
function.

As for init logging, I am not so sure of gentoo, but debian uses the
program: "bootlogd".

> during the install and I'm getting some dialogue that relates to fsck
> not
> doing anything and not finding fsck.xfs - Is this important? and what
> would I
> need to check/change ?

Yes, that means your kernel lacks support for it.

-- Thomas Adam

=====
"TAG Editor"                 -- http://linuxgazette.net

experience will probably kill you. :)"