[Sussex] Re: Gentoo problems.

Thomas Adam thomas_adam16 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 22 16:39:14 UTC 2004

 --- "John D." <big-john at dsl.pipex.com> wrote:

> So, this now leads onto the question, that surely, gentoo's livecd
> install
> would have put some kind of system logger into my system by default ?

There is *syslog*. That is your logger.

/var/log/syslog
/var/log/messages

in:

/etc/init.d/

There should be a file called:

syslogkd

which is linked (via symlinks) to:

/etc/RcX.d

where X == your default run-level. This should run at init.

> Because I'll be blowed if I can find it. I've found various things
> in /var/log, but none of them looks like it's a "syslog". Maybe someone
> knows
> what I could/should emerge so I have logging facilities?

Then it sounds like the symlinks above are not working.

> Also, if fsck can't find fsck.xfs, how do I modifiy things so there is
> support
> for an xfs file system ?

You'll have to compile it.

-- Thomas Adam