[Sussex] Re: Gentoo problems.

John D. big-john at dsl.pipex.com
Sun Feb 22 20:43:03 UTC 2004

On Sunday 22 February 2004 16:38, Thomas Adam wrote:
<snip>
> There is *syslog*. That is your logger.
>
> /var/log/syslog
> /var/log/messages
>
> in:
>
> /etc/init.d/
>
> There should be a file called:
>
> syslogkd
>
> which is linked (via symlinks) to:
>
> /etc/RcX.d
>
> where X == your default run-level. This should run at init.
<snip>
> > for an xfs file system ?
>
> You'll have to compile it.
</snip>

This looks like stuff that I'll have to find out about. It appears that I
don't have anything that fits your description Thomas. The only syslog type
file I can find is in usr/lib<somebit's I don't recall>/syslog. It's not a
readable file, and not executable either so I can run a script or anything to
get it going.

There doesn't seem to be an /etc/RcX.d either. that's not to say that these
files don't exist. I just can't find them (manually or doing a find file?).

As for compiling anything, that's rather over my head, but I'll have to find
out the "how's and why's" (I may already be able to do this, but most of the
techie type terminology, is over my head.

Thanks for your pointers and suggestions - I'll keep looking.

regards

John D.