[Sussex] Re: Gentoo problems.

Thomas Adam thomas_adam16 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 22 20:52:53 UTC 2004

 --- "John D." <big-john at dsl.pipex.com> wrote:
> This looks like stuff that I'll have to find out about. It appears that
> don't have anything that fits your description Thomas. The only syslog
> type
> file I can find is in usr/lib<somebit's I don't recall>/syslog. It's not
> readable file, and not executable either so I can run a script or
> anything to
> get it going.

Certainly that is in the wrong place, yes.

> There doesn't seem to be an /etc/RcX.d either. that's not to say that
> these
> files don't exist. I just can't find them (manually or doing a find
> file?).

by X, I was referring to a number between 0 and 6. Ideally you want to
look in the appropriate directory which is defined by your "default
runlevel" in /etc/inittab (probably 2 in gentoo).

> As for compiling anything, that's rather over my head, but I'll have to
> find
> out the "how's and why's" (I may already be able to do this, but most of
> the
> techie type terminology, is over my head.

You will forgive me for this, I hope, but how can you say that when that
is what gentoo is about?

> Thanks for your pointers and suggestions - I'll keep looking.

You're welcome.

-- Thomas Adam

=====
"TAG Editor"                 -- http://linuxgazette.net