[Sussex] Re: Gentoo problems.

John D. big-john at dsl.pipex.com
Mon Feb 23 15:30:56 UTC 2004

On Monday 23 February 2004 09:04, Thomas Adam wrote:
> That really depends upon the people. It is unfortunate, but I have always
> viewed the use of Linux is dependant upon the mentality of the people
> willing to give it a go (no arrogance intended there - just an
> observation).

As "a child of the Thatcher years", it's more to do with that I can see the MS
point of view, in respect of their business case/justification.

At the same time, given the advances that have been made by the Linux world, I
don't always follow why those whose business relies heavily on IT haven't
bothered to look into open source alternatives. MS product's do rather seem
like an expensive luxury, but I don't have a full understanding of this, more
of a "peripheral view"

> > I don't see myself as an IT enthusiast, but a user who want's the choice
> > of
> > not using M$ products, on social, moral and ethical grounds. But to have
> > that
> > opportunity, I have had to join the linux "learning Merry-go-round".
> >
> :) Then in that case, you will get nothing but support. I started using
>
> Linux about ooh, 7 years ago, when I was 13. Back then, I was running the
> 'new' distribution "slackware". A nice distro for sure, but the amount of
> support back then was minimal. You are now in a fortunate position, John.

After reading Geoff's post, I've put some thought to this point, and have to
correct myself, inthat "the reformed user" point of view, was where I was
when I first looked into linux/MS alternatives, I feel that I want more. Not
huge amounts more, "bite sized chunks" really (British Rail - I'll get there
eventually as well).

> Gentoo is not what I would call a "hobbyist's" distro -- not by any means.
> In fact, you've really plunged yourself into the deep end. I have used
> about a dozen distros in my time, including Gentoo, but I was always go
> back to Debian.

Apart from mandrake, I haven't got anything to go back too (yet) but, a good
while ago, Steve Dobson came over and showed me how to install debian on my
system in addition to mandrake. He showed me the "error of my ways" :P
insofar as I'd really opted for the wrong version i.e. I got a "stable" dvd,
I should have really gone for something more "up to date" (Hindsight? hum,
yes. Always helpful).

A couple of weeks later, I started to appreciate it, but then had a look at
knoppix - now that's some "piece of kit"! I was so impressed with how clever
their hardware detection was, that I installed that over the top of the
"proper" debian.

> That is why I am on so many LUG lists. I am actually in
> Hamsphire -- never been to Sussex, save to travel through it. But by doing
> so, I get to help many more people.
>
> I think you're slightly wrong about documentation though. Linux has quite
> an extensive set of documents, assuming you know where to look. But of
> course, it was written for people like yourselves who _want_ to learn. To
> say that you do not understand it is a little defeatest. You should always
> try and better yourself in that sense, John. It is as if you're limiting
> yourself by assuming you will never understand it.

Hampshire eh! Portsmouth 1 Liverpool 0 come to mind after this last weekend.
But as I'm ex Royal Navy, you are definitely forgiven :P

Seriously though, linux documentation is a bit of a "soap box" subject for me.
When you consider the incredible amount of effort that linux developers of
all flavours put in to producing truely amazing software, it constantly
suprises me when I see the fragmentary nature of documentation. I suppose
it's easy to stand on the outside and moan (not my intention).

> Syslog is a standard thing. Did you want me to explain it in more detail
> for you?

Thanks for the offer.  I was quite suprised not to be able to locate a
"syslog", it was my impression that it was one of those things that all
distro's, however basic "just had". If it's there (it must be!), I'll find it
eventually.

> There is -- "bootlogd". If my memory serves me (and it has been a while
> since I last used/installed gentoo), bootlogd is in the "baselayout"
> package.
>
> The difference between bootlogd and syslog is that the former mearly logs
> init stuff to /var/log/boot, whereas the former will log all kernel/system
> messages to /var/log/messages (hint: see "man logger").

Hum, curious. I still haven't managed to find /var/log/boot - is this
something that would be in my /boot partition ? (sorry if that sound's like
I'm "clutching at straws"). man logger? I haven't managed to decypher man man
yet (not for the lack of trying, it seems that the "penny hasn't dropped").

>I'm off to University now. Sigh -- more lectures to attend ;)

Oh, the luxury of full time education. At least you will have good "earning
potential" when you finish. Whereas, in my case, the national lottery looms
quite large in the current pension plan  :)

Again, thanks for the continued assistance (which applies to all on the list
really, quite a lot of people have helped get me this far - It's greatfully
appreciated).

regards

John D.