[Sussex] CUPS Answers

Tony Austin tony at gigaday.com
Mon Feb 23 16:25:26 UTC 2004

Geoff Teale said:
> On Mon, 2004-02-23 at 15:29 +0000, Tony Austin wrote:

...snip...

> I can tell you the answer to this, as it is exactly what I expected.
> CUPS is a print spooler designed for heavy usage - it assumes that _it_
> is handling the load of many people using the printer, it's job is to
> let the printer do as little as possible as reliably as possible.
> Whilst CUPS is busy dealing with your complex print it can always send
> something simpler to the printer, but a printer occupied with rendering
> your graphics  can't do anything else at the same time.
>
> Moreover the way that Windows does it is _far_ more likely to cause the
> printer to fail to print at all because it does not have enough memory
> available to render the page.
>
> --
> Geoff Teale

With my techie hat on I can understand what you are saying.

With my dumb-user hat on I still see my printer going really slowly and
taking ages to print out a large document that used to zoom out under
Windows.

I've just checked and my printer has only 2MB, so the 4.2MB/page you
quoted in will not allow any buffering of the pages.  Presumably if I had
more than 8MB on the printer it would work a lot better.

Regards.

Tony Austin
Gigaday Computing Limited
http://www.gigaday.com
tony at gigaday.com

"It is clear our nation is reliant upon big foreign oil.  More and more of our imports come from overseas."

George W. Bush
September 25, 2000