[Sussex] kernel upgrade question about .config file

Thomas Adam thomas_adam16 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 23 17:08:19 UTC 2004

 --- Tony Austin <tony at gigaday.com> wrote:

> I am doing a minor upgrade on a couple of Gentoo machines to comply with
> kernel security updates.  For example from linux-2.4.20-gentoo-r7 to
> linux-2.4.22-gentoo-r5.
>
> I am wondering what the best way of getting all the settings transferred
> over from the old .config file to the new .config file might be.  I seem
> to remember that copying the .config from one to the other is not so
> recommended as there can be extra things in the new one.

As Alan notes:

cd /usr/src/linux && cp /boot/config-$(uname -r) ./.config && make
oldconfig

If you're going from 2.4 -> 2.6, then you won't need to do this, as 2.6
has a greater intelligence about where to locate the configuration file.

-- Thomas Adam

=====
"TAG Editor"                 -- http://linuxgazette.net

experience will probably kill you. :)"