[Sussex] Woody, here I come :-)

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Tue Feb 24 00:11:20 UTC 2004

Gavin

On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 11:46:34PM +0000, Thomas Adam wrote:
> Gavin Stevens <starshine at gavmusic.uklinux.net> wrote:
> > I would be most grateful for any of the following:
> >
> > 1: General tips on upgrading (is apt-get or dselect better? for
> > example).
>
> dselect is evil -- do not go there.

Listen to Thomas - dselect is the spawn of the Devil - do not use it.
Use the power that is "apt-get".

>                                     Apt-get is the man to use. There is
> also something called "tasksel" that might interest you -- but I would
> advise against that -- it installs KDE *and* GNOME.

"tasksel" is only really useful if you want to install a set of packages
that are normally related to a task - like programming.

If you have a broadband link, or time (it will work over a 56K modem - I
know that's how I used it for years, letting it run over night) apt will
upgrade from potote to woody (or even sarge) without having to use the
CD.

Edit the file /etc/apt/sources.list so that it looks like this:

---------------------- cut here --------------------------
deb ftp://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian <version> main contrib non-free
deb deb ftp://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US <version> non-US/main
deb deb ftp://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US <version> non-US/contrib
deb deb ftp://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US <version> non-US/non-free
deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib non-free
---------------------- cut here --------------------------

Where <version> is either "stable" for the latest stable release (woody)
                          "testing" for the current testing version (sarge)
                or you can use the version name (i.e. "woody").

Then (as root) do a:
  # apt-get update
  # apt-get dist-upgrade
And the system (after pulling the required packages) will be updated
for you.`

If you do want to use the woody CDs then only add the
"deb http://security..." line and then use apt-cdrom to add each of the
CDs to the apt packages and then run the apt commands above.

Steve D