[Sussex] Woody, here I come :-)

Thomas Adam thomas_adam16 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 24 01:31:24 UTC 2004

 --- Steve Dobson <steve at dobson.org> wrote:
> Thomas
>
> On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 12:16:23AM +0000, Thomas Adam wrote:
> >  --- Steve Dobson <steve at dobson.org> wrote:
> >
> > > Listen to Thomas - dselect is the spawn of the Devil - do not use
> it.
> > > Use the power that is "apt-get".
> >
> > Or even aptitude, which will function as a much a cleaner interface
> for
> > dselect (if used with no parameters) and also for apt-get and
> apt-cache.
>
> Never really used it.  I find apt-{file,cache,get} works for me, but
> then
> I like the command line just fine.

aptitude is curses based, and hence is command-line based. Was you
thinking of synaptic which was GUI-based?

> > Agreed, CD1 of woody for the basesystem, and then do a net install.
>
> Not if you have any kind of Debian system installed.   On a clean system
> I've installed from an old slink CD and as sone as I had an absolute
> minimual system (no GUI, no compiler, ...) and then net installed to
> woody.

Same operation, just a different distro flavour.

> Unless you have completely trashed the disk layout there is never a
> need to install one Debian version over the other.  One of the reasons
> that dselect sucked so much is that the developers never needed it.
> The upgrade has always worked, and since apt was developed it works
> beautifully.

Oh yes, I used woody purely as an example, and no advocacy of preference
was intended.

> > > Edit the file /etc/apt/sources.list so that it looks like this:
> >
> > [..snip contents of sources.list..]
> >
> > apt-setup
> > achieves the same thing as this.
>
> Well you learn something new every day.
>
> > > Then (as root) do a:
> > >   # apt-get update
> > >   # apt-get dist-upgrade
> >
> > apt-get -u upgrade && apt-get -u dist-upgrade
> >
> > the -u is most helpful.

-- Thomas Adam

=====
"TAG Editor"                 -- http://linuxgazette.net