[Sussex] microshaft at it again

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Thu Feb 26 10:25:40 UTC 2004

Gareth

On Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 10:01:50AM -0000, Gareth Ablett wrote:
> Anyone seen the adverts Microsoft are putting out that there software is
> cheaper over 5 years then Linux.

No.

> Some one better tell them that to get a fair comparison they better not
> try the most expensive distribution of Linux.

This is advertising - what do you expect.

> http://www.microsoft.com/uk/getthefacts/

And do you believe that Daz/Bold/Percil wash whites whiter than the
leading brand of power?

> on of there comments "Windows Server 2003 Far less expensive to operate
> then a Linux Mainframe" well yay! mainframes tend to be more expensive
> then a server.

That one made me laugh too.  IBM have never claimed that their mainframes
are cheep.  What they have said than a mainframe's TCO is less than an
equivalent farm of Intel based server.  This is true, from what I recall,
you need a big farm to make the mainframe pay.

If some Window's fanatic points you at this just smile and ask the
question:  As Linux will run on the same Intel system as Windows,
why aren't Microsoft comparing like for like?