[Sussex] Asterisk

Jon Fautley jon at geekpeople.net
Fri Feb 27 13:10:26 UTC 2004

Simon Chappell wrote:

> Hey all
>
> Don't know if any of you have had any experience with Asterisk..?
> (No not the little cartoon character with a fat friend from Gaul)

Yup :)

I use it at work and at home :)

> We decided that as all our staff work from home we would get some sip
> phones. We plugged them in and set them up to connect to FWD and it
> sort of worked. However we needed something a littel more reliable so
> I installed my own sip server at the office.
> took all of 5 mins to download it and make:make install (Shortly
> afterwards I found I could have typed emerge asterisk)
> A few hours of ponsing about with config files and we found a site
> that had a setup guide for a basic setup.
> With a bit tweaking 5 minutes later we where phoning each other over
> IP and down VPNS .... Leaving Ansaphone messages and collecting them
> via email..

Cool... did you use Andy Powell's guide? He's a good friend of mine....

I've got a collection of handsets that I've been playing with,
everything from the Grandstream phones (nasty) upto a Cisco 7960G (if
you could have sex with a phone, this would be the one you'd want to do
it with), and I also have a Snom100 and a Snom200, and have a SipTone on
it's way :)

> I am now ordering the PCI card to interface to analogue phone lines..
> by the way the config was only 3 text files which I am happy to share
> if any one wants a kickstart. and we are using grandstream phones and
> also a software phone.

Where are you ordering from? I've found telappliant.co.uk to be VERY
good and VERY VERY helpful...

And if you need any commercial support, feel free to contact my employer :)

Jon