[Sussex] Comments on Feb LUG Moot just passed

Tony Austin tony at gigaday.com
Sat Feb 28 08:46:16 UTC 2004

There was some general discussion on the format and objectives of the
meeting.

People there seemed pleased with the Holbrook as a venue and it was noted
that there is a good sized room at the back with tables and chairs that
could be used as a more formal setting than the bar.  I did not see any of
the members with food, although there were some other people with
sandwiches in the pool table area.  Someone has noted that the TV in the
bar did not make it easy to have a wider conversation.

There were a couple of newcomers there who expressed an interest in a
formal style of meeting so that a real exchange of ideas could happen.
When asked, everyone present was in favour of this.  Nik suggested a
format as used by PerlMongers, which would be to have a start time when
everyone would gather in the TV room first (there being a greeter in the
bar area to guide them through) for various presentations - some short,
some longer.  It was also suggested that everyone could have the
opportunity to present something about what they had been doing in the
previous month, plus maybe some jewel or tip that they would like to
contibute.

I think it would be important for _everyone_ to have a ittle say so we get
to know each other and to get away from the drudge of trying to get
someone to do _the_ presentation.  If someone wants to do a major
presentation (which would be nice), to try to schedule just one a month in
advance on the mailing list.

Newcomers could introduce themselves and there could be a little time for
general and specific questions or discussions.

Then we could adjourn to the bar area.

What do the members think of these ideas?

Regards.

Tony Austin
Gigaday Computing Limited
http://www.gigaday.com
tony at gigaday.com

"You subscribe politics to it.  I subscribe freedom to it."

George W. Bush
April 6, 2000
Referring to the Elian Gonzalez negotiations in Miami, Florida.  Reported by the Associated Press.