[Sussex] Unix file permissions question

Tony Austin tony at gigaday.com
Thu Jan 1 13:18:07 UTC 2004

John and Andrew

Thanks for your suggestions.

ACLs it is then, I guess.  I just wanted to make sure that there wasn't
something obvious that I was missing.  I have taken a quick look at what's
involved and it doesn't look quite as scarey as I thought it might, so
I'll have a go and post the results.

Tony

>> I want to be able to set permissions on a directory such that group (a)
>> has read-only access and group (b) has read-write access.
>
> Under normal Unix chmod rules, its not possible to have different group
> access writes over files and directories beyond user, group, other.
>
> You will need to switch to a different ACL system to be able to set
> permissions between groups.
>
> A quick googling revealed:
>
> http://trustees.sourceforge.net/
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/linux-acl/
>
> Although these ACLs seem not to be updated.
>
> http://acl.bestbits.at/
>
> This one seems to be more updated.
>
> --
> John

Regards.

Tony Austin
Gigaday Computing Limited
http://www.gigaday.com
tony at gigaday.com

"Laura and I really don't realize how bright our children is sometimes until we get an objective analysis."

George W. Bush
April 15, 2000
Comment made on NBC's Meet the Press.