[Sussex] Mail server recommendations?

Alan J Fitton alan at loonix.net
Sun Jan 4 12:46:24 UTC 2004

> Can anyone recommend me a Linux mail server that does the following:
>
> - Allows Outlook Express to read messages WITHOUT removing them from the
> server (IMAP?)

Yep, IMAP. I'm using UW IMAPD, which works fine, and I have SSL working
with it well. Courier IMAP is apparently good, never tried it.

> - Has an HTTP/HTTPS client for when I'm at client sites where all I can use
> is port 80/443

Squirrelmail is great, just drop it on a HTTPS web server and it'll
interface with your IMAP server.

> - Allows multiple users, with a mapping so that each user can have multiple
> address ON MULTIPLE domains
>
> .. ie Mark at ascentium.co.uk, Mark at startinvesting.co.uk go to the same
> mailbox. Mary likewise has mail addresses on each. George only has a
> startinvesting.co.uk one.

By default, when you add a domain to /etc/mail/local-host-names in
sendmail, anything that it receives to a domain in that list gets
delivered to the user. So it's as simple as adding your domains to that
file.

> - Allows server-side rules so that mails from lists will be automatically
> filed into appropriate subfolders. Ideally, these rules should be
> configurable with the Outlook/OutlookExpress rules interface, but this part
> of the requirement isn't hard - I'm quite happy to have some other engine
> for setting server-side rules, since I'll probably re-subscribe to groups
> with a "lists at ascentium.co.uk" address anyway :-)

Use procmail, drop a .procmailrc in the users home directory and most
MTA's will work happily with it. Outlook rules don't have any bearing in
what the MTA/IMAP server does.

> - Is Free in both the money and OpenSource senses.

No problems there, all the good ones are open source.

My MTA of choice is Sendmail. Mainly because it's *very* stable and
predictable, easy to find documentation for, and very simple. Give it a
try before believing what a lot of people say about it, and you'll
probably find most of the criticisms are unfair.

Hope this helps,
Alan