[Sussex] SAMBA server / Win2k client

Tony Austin tony at gigaday.com
Mon Jan 5 14:19:32 UTC 2004

> OK, I've now got the "big spare disk" in the new Debian box, and am trying
> to set it up as a server.
>
> I have Samba installed, and it's running, to the extent that the debian
> box
> appears in windows network browsing.
>
> However, when I try to connect to it, I get the error "the semaphore
> period
> timed out". This is with a Windows 2000 client.

groups.google.com comes up with this

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=the+semaphore+period%0D%0Athe+semaphore+period+timed+out&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search

several of which mention DHCP, maybe it's not a Samba error

what does the event log have to say about it?

> Any ideas?
>
> M.

Regards.

Tony Austin
Gigaday Computing Limited
http://www.gigaday.com
tony at gigaday.com

"I've changed my style somewhat, as you know.  I'm less, I pontificate less, although it may be hard to tell it from this show.  And I'm more interacting with people."

George W. Bush
February 13, 2000