[Sussex] New Gentoo user

David Chapman dokterdave at ntlworld.com
Tue Jan 6 16:34:44 UTC 2004

I,I have jumped in and joined the growing number of Gentoo users on this list.
So Gareth. Can you update my entry on the Lug web site.
SUSE9.0 & Gentoo 1.4

Please blame John D for the flood of questions that will be flowing this way.
He convinced me that I could do it and to be honest my box ,quad Xeon, must
surely work more efficiently with a compiled from source OS.
Tho I started with a stage3 just to get my feet wet.

Q1   Which method would be best for the NVidia kernel drivers "emerge
nvidia-kernel" or the drivers from NVidia

One thing that has bugged me ,even with SUSE is the partion table for the
Gentoo disk
	/dev/sde1   ext3      30.5MB     /boot     0 - 30
	/dev/sde2   reiserf   16.9GB     /            31 - 17365

When I boot the box the CHS of the drive is 1024 64 32 all my other drives are
1024 255 64 if I partion it as 1 reiserfs partion its OK (1024 255 64)
This obviously has some thing to do with the mix of ext3 and reiserfs but is
it likely to kill my drive. I would cry like a M$ user if I spent god knows
how long compiling Gentoo only to have it vanish.