[Sussex] New Gentoo user

john big-john at dsl.pipex.com
Tue Jan 6 21:34:03 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 06 January 2004 4:38 pm, gteale at cmedltd.com wrote:
> David,
>
> In answer to your first question:
>
> emerge nvidia-kernel nvidia-glx
>
> ... is what you'll want if you want to keep it sensible.  The current
> binaries under gentoo are the same as the binaries on the Nvidia web site,
> but Gentoo will manage patching them for your kernel versions (should they
> need to be).

As far as I can ascertain, the nvidia driver that you get when you

emerge nvidia-kernel nvidia-glx

is

Linux Display Driver - IA32
Version: 1.0-4496
Operating System: Linux IA32
Release Date: July 28, 2003

whereas the latest version seems to be

Linux Display Driver - IA32
Version: 1.0-5328
Operating System: Linux IA32
Release Date: December 22, 2003

or is it ?

So, as I don't seem to be able to install the driver when I download it from
the nvidia site (I can't work out how to "accept" nvidia's t's and c's, which
I am supposed to do before I download the actual driver, and even if I try
using the -a or --accept-license arguments, I just get the same "wrong check
sum reply after I do the "sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5328-pkg1.run" command),
how would I upgrade it, because as far as I can work out, I've got the
1.0-4496 version from doing the emerge command and would like try the
1.0-5328 version ??

regards

John D.