[Sussex] New Gentoo user

john big-john at dsl.pipex.com
Wed Jan 7 00:01:42 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 06 January 2004 10:01 pm, tealeg at tealeg.uklinux.net wrote:
> John...
>
> Do this:
>
> su -
> emerge rsync
> export ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86"
> emerge nvidia-kernel nvidia-glx
>

> ... and you should get the latest versions of the nvidia drivers.
>
> I suggest that you may want to do a :
>
> emerge -p nvidia-kernel nvidia-glx
>
> ..between the ACCEPT_KEYWORDS line and the actual emerge just to check
> what it's going to pull.
>
> I'm running version 1.0-5328 patched against kernel 2.6.1-rc1 all from the
> portage tree.;)

Thanks Geoff,

I did the

bash-2.05b# emerge -p nvidia-kernel nvidia-glx

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild  N    ] media-video/nvidia-kernel-1.0.5328-r1
[ebuild     U ] media-video/nvidia-glx-1.0.5328-r1 [1.0.4496]

as you suggested, which seemed correct, though the "U" was turquoise, and the
[1.0.4496] was blue (sorry, I haven't sussed out how to replicate the colours
as text yet) which I'm sure means something, as to what, god alone knows.

The only two things that may be important, but I don't understand the how's
and why's, is that bash reported this

 * An update to portage is available. It is _highly_ recommended
 * that you update portage now, before any other packages are updated.
 * Please do so and then update ALL of your configuration files.

and this

* GNU info directory index is up-to-date.
 * IMPORTANT: 24 config files in /etc need updating.
 * IMPORTANT: 54 config files in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb need updating.
 * Type emerge --help config to learn how to update config files.

even looking at the "emerge --help config" doesn't seem to make much sense, as
for updating portage, well, for the moment that's another big ???

regards

John D.