[Sussex] Cursor Disappearing

Sam (Bilko) bilko_ec1 at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 17 11:25:06 UTC 2004

Hi, I've just plunged myself into linux and I'm using the Mandrake 9.2 downloadable distro. A friend of mine said these user groups are good place for advice so I thought I'd join up. Anyway, my point; I've recently built a system to play with linux on and the installation went fine, configured all my hardware as correct as I could (for once, an OS installer which has my hardware :D). I set it up to boot straight into KDE and it did, I logged in and everything seemed fine. I clicked around a bit, checked out the browser etc. Everything seemed cool. However, I had to shut down to use my kb and mouse on the other pc, this is where I think the problems may have begun. I couldn't work out how to shut down the system from KDE so I had to resort to using the power button.
    I came back to it the next day when I got back in, plugged it all in etc, booted up and noticed a pretty substantial problem. Within a few minutes of the system loading up the cursor disappears, keyboards seems unresponsive and the system generally freezes up (I also think the monitor pisture froze). I have to resort to resetting the pc. This problem does not occur at a set time, sometimes before I can login, sometimes after clicking around for a couple of minutes. While the system seems frozen, I can hear the hard drive working and seems happy, not constantly spinning, just working.
    I cannot remember the precise versions of everything I installed, but I believe I went for the most recent versions of everything. I think I installed XFree 4.something if that helps.

    My system hardware is below:

        Athlon2000+
        PCChips M810LR-H Motherboard
        13Gb HD (Unknown spec)
        256Mb PC133 SD RAM
        Onboard Graphics Card (8Mb Shared)
        Onboard Sound
        Onboard Ethernet
        48x IDE CD Drive
        Floppy Drive
        350W PSU

    The Motherboard, ram, hard drive and cd drive are second hand but all have been working in a different system.
    The Processor, Heatsink, Case and PSU are all new.

    I don't believe there is a problem in the hardware, I think I have configured something wrong or maybe the incorrect shut down the first time round did it. I don't know, but any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,

Sam (Shuriken1)

---