[Sussex] configuring xine?

steve at dobson.org steve at dobson.org
Tue Jan 20 12:50:17 UTC 2004

Hi John

Long time no speak :-)  My fault :-)

On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 09:05:13PM +0000, john wrote:
> does anyone know anything about configuring xine to play DVD's.

I use mplayer as it was the first I got working, but I did look at xine
when I started.

> I've managed to get it installed and sort of running, but both the sound and
> video playback are "jumpy"

I had a simular problem, video and audio were a little jumpy and often out of
sync.

I found the cause was that the Real Time Clock device wasn't configured.  Check
to see that the RTC device is configured.  Here is what it looks like on my
2.4.20 kernel.

$ ls -l /dev/rtc
lr-xr-xr-x    1 root     root            8 Dec 27 15:35 /dev/rtc -> misc/rtc
$ ls -l /dev/misc/rtc
crwxrw-rw-    1 root     root      10, 135 Jan  1  1970 /dev/misc/rtc

> Try applying scheduler patches, especially the O(1) and the preemptive patches
> have proven useful at the time of this writing (spring 2003).
> Linux 2.5/2.6 will probably have these improvements out of the box."

The Preemptive patch when in to the 2.4 kernel stream some time ago - can't
remember which version - but I use it.