[Sussex] Re: I hate gnome :P

Tony Austin tony at gigaday.com
Thu Jan 22 09:29:09 UTC 2004

> Tony Austin wrote:
>
> #mkisofs -o cdname.iso -R -J sourcedir

cdname.iso is what you want to call the ISO file that you are going to create

sourcedir is the name of the directory of which you want to create the ISO
file

-R says to use Rockridge extensions, which allows long file names in *nix
-J says to use Jolliet extensions, which allows long file names in M$

> #cdrecord -scanbus

scans the "SCSI" bus to detect your CD writer and gives you the number (eg
0,1,0) that you use in the next command.  My writer is SCSI, which
actually simplifies things for me.  If yours is IDE you will either have
to use the SCSI/IDE emulation, which you may need to find out about or, I
believe, it can all be done with IDE these days - I'm not sure.

> #cdrecord -v dev=0,1,0 cdname.iso

burns the CD from the ISO image you created in cdname.iso

-v says verbose so that you can see progress

> One of the smaller problems is that I must be that stupid, I can't suss
> out how to print the man pages, and I haven't got much of a clue how I
> should interpret the commands I've quoted above Tony i.e. which bit's I
> change for what?

#man -t mkisofs | lpr

should do this, although recently it doesn't seem to want to play on my
computer any more and I haven't got round to finding out why.

> Also, is there anything that I'd need to do in respect of configuration,
> so cdrecord know's that my burner is probably /dev/hdc or possibly
> /dev/scd0 ?

Ah!  This is where you need to find out about using IDE burners.

> As for using ICEwm, I think that was what I ended up with when I first,
> but I found it a little on the bland side. Functional, yes, but
> definitely bland. I suspect that I will always have a "windows
> mentality", and if I've got the system resources, then by god, I'll
> abuse them :)

You're right about IceWM but, as I said, my needs are simple.

> I mean, I am sort of getting into gnome, but to paraphrase my outlaws
> (of North Western origin), "It's like pullin teeth"!

I'm sure it will be well worth the effort; I am not focusing on desktops
at the moment.

> regards
>
> John D.

Regards.

Tony Austin
Gigaday Computing Limited
http://www.gigaday.com
tony at gigaday.com

"Laura and I are proud to call John and Michelle Engler our friends.  I know you're proud to call him governor.  What a good man the Englers are."

George W. Bush
November 3, 2000