[sub] [Sussex] MYSQL vs Postgresql

Gareth Ablett Gareth.Ablett at itpserve.co.uk
Fri Jul 16 08:38:16 UTC 2004

 From: Tony Austin [mailto:tony at gigaday.com]
 Subject: Re: [sub] [Sussex] MYSQL vs Postgresql

> Does anyone have any knowledge of why MySQL might be a better or worse
> choice than Postgresql?
>
> As far as as I can tell:-
>
> 1. MySQL server can run under Windows as well as Linux but Postgresql
will
> not run on Windows.
> 2. The MySQL licence requires payment for commercial applications
which
> are not 100% GPL (plus a few exceptions) but Postgresql doesn't.
> 3. I thought that the Postgresql documentation looked a lot easier to
get
> started with than MySQL and (to prove it) very quickly had a database
up
> and running without knowing very much about anything.  (Not that I am
> saying that there is anything wrong with MySQL online documentation.)
>
> I have no idea on the relative technical merits of each and presume
that
> my humble needs would be covered by both.
>
> Anyone any thoughts?

I have read Geoff's reply to this and although this is the case that
postgresql has been tested as faster I haven't seen any up to date test
with newer versions of both.

I currently believe the MySQL is being pretty fast but this is only
marginal when you consider the amount the can do.

Personally MySQL is possible the most used database by web developers
this is basically because it easy simple and has possible a lot more
support on the internet for it.

Hope this helps.

Gareth Ablett
Systems Developer

ITP Services Ltd.
http://www.itpserve.co.uk/

The recipient acknowledges that ITP Services Ltd is unable to control
the content of information in transmitting mail and attachments over the
Internet. ITP Services Ltd makes no warranty as to the quality,
accuracy and content of information contained in or with this message.
In
reading, opening or receiving this e-mail the recipient accepts full
responsibility for its content and attachments.