[Sussex] Just a bit of news

Gareth Ablett Gareth.Ablett at itpserve.co.uk
Wed Jul 21 09:34:58 UTC 2004

Mike

In that case here is what you need to know.

You need either a modem or a router, if you have a network and wish to
connect multiple machines to the internet then a router is a must. On
the other hand you just want to connect one computer to the internet
then you can use either a router or a modem although I believe that
router is the better choice in the long run.

A router is basically a switch/hub that includes a modem and some extra
software to do some routing of information.

Routers come in all different types and each with there own set of
features.

If you have wireless or are planning to go this way then a router with
wireless connectivity would be useful. You best bet would to go for a 4
port router with or without 802.11g (wireless) connectivity.

If you don't already you will need a 10/100 network card in you pc
sometimes this is built in to the motherboard. Although if you decide to
take the modem option that Is often offered by ISP's with a charge then
you wont need the network card.

Feel free to ask any questions about some of the functions or features
on a router.

Gareth Ablett
Systems Developer

ITP Services Ltd.
http://www.itpserve.co.uk/

The recipient acknowledges that ITP Services Ltd is unable to control
the content of information in transmitting mail and attachments over the
Internet. ITP Services Ltd makes no warranty as to the quality,
accuracy and content of information contained in or with this message.
In
reading, opening or receiving this e-mail the recipient accepts full
responsibility for its content and attachments.

<sussex at mailman.lug.org.uk>