[Sussex] Just a bit of news

Gareth Ablett Gareth.Ablett at itpserve.co.uk
Wed Jul 21 09:44:32 UTC 2004

Tony,

> Gareth
>
> > Mike,
> >
> > If you are going to get a router I'd just like to add to Angelo's
advice
> > and tell you that I hate Thomson (Alctel) router's they one I got is
> > complete crap.
>
> What exactly was it that you didn't like about the Speedtouch?  Which
model?

I have the Speedtouch 510v4 it says that it port forwarding which in
most cases it does but it hates allowing port forwarding for traffic
inwards. I may not be a master of doing this but even after reading the
manual I couldn't see what I had done wrong yet it wouldn't work.

I must admit that has been very reliable at doing what it does I've had
situations where people have just plug there laptops into the network on
either the router or the switch that I have and had net access no probs.

I would probably get better results if I did complete IP forwarding with
DHCP but I only have 2 IP address at the moment 1 for the router and
that would leave one for my main computer and nothing for anything else.
Getting more IP's is just filling out a form of RIPE away but that's
easier said then done.

> > I would recommend a linksys router though.
>
> We had trouble with one of these, but it was about a year ago, it kept
on
> dropping the line for no apparent reason.

Hmm maybe a bad recormendation by me then its just what a friends of
mine recommends and he works with cisco kit all the time.

> > Gareth Ablett
> > Systems Developer
> >
> > ITP Services Ltd.
> > http://www.itpserve.co.uk/
> >
> Regards.
>
> Tony Austin
> Gigaday Computing Limited
> http://www.gigaday.com
> tony at gigaday.com

Gareth Ablett
Systems Developer

ITP Services Ltd.
http://www.itpserve.co.uk/

The recipient acknowledges that ITP Services Ltd is unable to control
the content of information in transmitting mail and attachments over the
Internet. ITP Services Ltd makes no warranty as to the quality,
accuracy and content of information contained in or with this message.
In
reading, opening or receiving this e-mail the recipient accepts full
responsibility for its content and attachments.