[Sussex] Just a bit of news

Gareth Ablett Gareth.Ablett at itpserve.co.uk
Wed Jul 21 09:48:47 UTC 2004

Steve

> Mike / Gareth
>
> On Wed, Jul 21, 2004 at 10:37:40AM +0100, Gareth Ablett wrote:
> > In that case here is what you need to know.
> >
> > You need either a modem or a router, if you have a network and wish to
> > connect multiple machines to the internet then a router is a must. On
> > the other hand you just want to connect one computer to the internet
> > then you can use either a router or a modem although I believe that
> > router is the better choice in the long run.
> >
> > A router is basically a switch/hub that includes a modem and some extra
> > software to do some routing of information.
> >
> > Routers come in all different types and each with there own set of
> > features.
> >
> > If you have wireless or are planning to go this way then a router with
> > wireless connectivity would be useful. You best bet would to go for a 4
> > port router with or without 802.11g (wireless) connectivity.
> >
> > If you don't already you will need a 10/100 network card in you pc
> > sometimes this is built in to the motherboard. Although if you decide to
> > take the modem option that Is often offered by ISP's with a charge then
> > you wont need the network card.
> >
> > Feel free to ask any questions about some of the functions or features
> > on a router.
>
> If you are going for this then the ADSL Router must also be a firewall.
> It might be that today they all are.
>
> If you have a spare machine then you can use that as your firewall/router
> (which is what I have done, see my last post).
>
> Steve

yep the newer 510v4 comes with firewall and currently I have 2 machines that need about £100 spent on them to bring them back to life otherwise I'm short of a machine to make a firewall of.

Gareth Ablett
Systems Developer

ITP Services Ltd.
http://www.itpserve.co.uk/

The recipient acknowledges that ITP Services Ltd is unable to control
the content of information in transmitting mail and attachments over the
Internet. ITP Services Ltd makes no warranty as to the quality,
accuracy and content of information contained in or with this message. In
reading, opening or receiving this e-mail the recipient accepts full
responsibility for its content and attachments.